What is Visioneering™?
Each year, corporate leaders, philanthropists, heads of innovation and XPRIZE Trustees gather for a multi-day Visioneering workshop to brainstorm, debate, and prioritize which of the world's Grand Challenges might be solved through incentivized prize competition.
Watch this video to learn how leading thinkers from around the world come together at Visioneering to tackle humanity’s Grand Challenges and design potential XPRIZE competitions to solve them.
XPRIZE Visioneering Attendees Compete to Create the Next XPRIZE
This year’s Visioneering took place May 15-17 in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, where attendees competed with one another to design and pitch innovative, incentivized prize concepts across a variety of Grand Challenge areas in the hopes that theirs would become the next XPRIZE launched. (The $10M Qualcomm Tricorder XPRIZE was one such past winner that emerged from a Visioneering workshop.)
Congratulations to This Year’s Winner and Finalists
This year, the top prize concepts were presented at the Visioneering Results Dinner. An enthusiastic crowd of attendees voted in the winners.
- “Web in a Box” – An instantly deployable neighborhood backup Internet system that creates 5,000 Wi-Fi connections, has 7 days of power and connects to a network at least 100 miles away
- “Abundance” – Double the world’s food production by 2050
- “Forbidden Energy” – The development of radical, even controversial, alternative sources of energy
- “Demedicating our Water” – Develop a new water processing technique to remove the small, pharmaceutical molecules that are in your drinking water
- “Dwellings for Dignity” – Provide basic dignity in the form of shelter as well as a sense of community at an affordable cost
And top honors went to...
"Forbidden Energy" (Liz Fleming, Gregg Maryniak, J. Barry Thompson, Dmitry Chernyak)
The winning concept will get an ideation workshop at XPRIZE to determine if the prize is feasible and will have the intended impact.
Congratulations to all!
This Year's Topics
Disaster Prediction and Response
How do we prevent the collapse of a modern society in a catastrophic disaster? Can we predict disasters?
Cybersecurity – Playing Offense & Defense
Protecting against cyber threats and improving our resilience to cyber incidents
The Future of Cities
Building and renewing in a century that will see 100 new cities the size of New York City
Revolutionizing public health in the 21st century
Climate Change Adaptation
How can we reduce our susceptibility to the effects of man-made climate change?
Wild Card – What Do You Prize?
For returning attendees to design prizes in an area of their choice
Visioneering is where ideas compete. Throughout the experience, attendees pitch their ideas to each other and vote to advance the strongest concepts. Visioneering culminates with the award of the Grand Prize to the winning prize concept. The XPRIZE team then works with the attendees who created the concept to develop it into an XPRIZE competition that has the potential to be launched and awarded.