Fighting Cancer Through Early Detection
- Breast Cancer – 99% 5-year survival rate if caught and treated early
- Lung Cancer – 60% detected after disease has spread; 5% survival if detected late, 55%-75% survival if caught early
- Colorectal Cancer – If everyone over 50 had regular screening > 60% of deaths could be prevented
- Melanoma – 1% of skin cancer diagnoses, 75% of skin cancer deaths; 5-year survival 98% if caught early, 17% if caught after metastasis
- Ovarian Cancer – Early diagnosis = 92% 5-year survival, but only 15% are caught early
- Pancreatic Cancer – Highest mortality rate of all major cancers, 80% have inoperable tumors when diagnosed
A solution must be sensitive to detect cancer early enough for effective intervention, yet specific to avoid over-diagnosis.
Reducing or eliminating the time between a test being conducted and the delivery of its results is key to addressing disparities in cancer screening.
Significantly reducing the cost of cancer screening is key to making it more available.